Thursday, October 27, 2011

Shredded chicken with some spice!

This is a recipe I discovered shortly after our daughter Aidan was born and I went back to work full time.  It is also when I discovered my L-O-V-E for the crockpot.  I needed easy meals as I adjusted to being a working/career mom.  I'll let you know when that adjustment/acclimation has happened.  I am still waiting.  I have just gotten better at faking it.  This one is simple.  It takes ingredients most people have on-hand and makes yummy tacos!  We have made the chicken in a double batch, froze the left overs, and used it at a later date for enchiladas.  For those dieting, this one is pretty low-fat.  My husband uses Green Goddess dressing on the tacos in place of sour cream.  Ole!

Shredded Chicken Tacos
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-14 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth

1-1 oz reduced sodium taco seasoning packet

Place the chicken breasts in a 3 qt slow cooker that has been coated in non-stick cooking spray. In a 2 Cup measuring cup (or a small bowl) whisk the chicken broth and taco seasoning together. Pour over the chicken. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Before serving, place chicken breasts in a medium bowl. Shred using two forks. Serve on warm flour or corn tortillas with shredded cheese and sour cream.

No comments: