Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Better hide the Great Pumpkin, it is that time of year!

Fall is in the air.  That signals to me that it is time to start cooking with pumpkin, again.  My husband loves this time of the year, when I begin baking like crazy.  I love to make.  It is a stress release for me.  I love the smells it fills the house up with.  So, tonight I made Chocolate chip spiced pumpkin bars for a social tomorrow night.  Why you ask?  Good question, because they are easy, quick to make, and oh so yummy!

When I moved into my first apartment, I had one cookbook.    It was the infamous red and white checkered covered Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I still have it, the update version that lays flat, and now the pink updated version.I personally feel it is the essential cookbook for all cooks.  I love the pumpkin bars in there.  So, their recipe was the base for the following recipe.  I just spiced up.  Enjoy!

Spiced Pumpkin Bars

2 C all-purpose flour
2 Tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ginger and ginger
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp maple extract
4 eggs
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
1 ½ C sugar
1 C cooking oil
1 C chocolate chips
In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, maple extract, and oil. Add the flour mixture; beat until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread batter in an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: